I'm a bookworm, and proud of it.

I can't think of a time that I couldn't read. I've read so many books over the years that I couldn't begin to tell you how many books I've inhaled.  My parents despaired of ever getting me out of the house because I was happiest stuck inside with my nose buried between the pages of a book.

Hmm, nothing dirty at all about that last sentence...

If you know what I mean and I think you do..



I read voraciously--I can't seem to stop reading, even while I'm eating. It's a good thing that my family doesn't eat at the table together, because it would definitely be bad manners to have a book in my face while everyone was there. It's in fact hard to eat out because I wish I had carried a book with me. Maybe that means I'm anti-social? You bet your sweet bippy I am! (well, sometimes)

But I can't help it.  I mean, I even read dictionaries for fun!  As a child, I was reading books above my age level, and could for the most part suss out the harder parts of a book, and, if I didn't understand something, go to a parental unit for clarification.  But for the most part I just figured things out on my own. 

And I, not to say anything against electronic forms of books(because I have Kindle for PC) much prefer to have a physical book in my hands. There's just something about the smell of old books, and even new books: I've been known to stop in the middle of a bookstore and just take a deep breath.  It's nearly intoxicating to me.  If I had enough money and time to buy books and read, I'd be a happy woman.

Unlike this poor bastard.

In fact, that episode of the Twilight Zone, 'Time Enough At Last', is one I can hardly watch, because of how sad I get for Henry Bemis, the protagonist of the episode. I just want to scream.  Which reminds me also that when the apocalypse hits, I'd better have an extra pair of glasses. Just in case.

Anyway, my parents,and even my siblings I'm sure, thought I was wasting my time reading.  I couldn't explain it then, and I can't explain it now- it's just something I have to do.  I hope that I'll enjoy reading as much when I'm much, much older.  I hope I have time to read.  People who don't read on a regular basis(that is, for enjoyment), just don't get it.  But I'm a proud bookworm, and to those of you who think I'm weird? Well, that's your problem.  But I feel sorry for you all the same, because you're missing out on unexplored worlds and new thoughts and ideas.  And also, apparently this: Reading Literature Makes Us Smarter and Nicer .

It's also an escape for me, especially when I feel some days like I'm being nibbled to death by ducks.  It's funny, the evening after I gave birth to my daughter, lo these eighteen years ago, I had to read, as tired as I was. That's how dedicated I am to reading. The only thing, the really only thing that stopped me from reading, was going through all my anxiety crap. But that's not something I'm discussing here. Maybe someday, in another post, I'll get back to that.

But anyway, do yourself a favor. Read. Read anything. Read to your kids. Just read. You're missing out!  Buy a book, borrow a book. Be a bookworm like me. You'll like it.


Comments

Popular Posts