Being a Princess AND owning a Pony? My inner child is jealous! My review of 'Princess and The Pony'


pix attributed to  zcool.com.cn




Princess and The Pony(Video, 2011)
(AKA 1st. Furry Valentine )
Rated:PG
Runtime:Approx. 90min.
Directed By: Rachael Lee Goldenberg
Starring:
Fiona Perry
Bill Oberst, Jr.
Bobbi Jo Lathan
Ron Hajak 
Kim Little
Twinkie the Pony(Echo The Pony)

Synopsis: 
A young, sheltered Princess from a far-away land is sent to live with her Aunt Fay in America after a breach in castle security(attempted kidnapping). Living incognito is hard for her, especially when trying to make friends at the new school she attends. While at her Aunt's, she begins working part time at a carnival, owned by the shady Mr. Synder. It is there she meets a sideshow pony, and becomes instant friends.


What can I say? This is an adorable movie, and Fiona Perry is perfect as Princess Evelyn.  I was drawn into the story, even as old as I am, because I'm a sucker for cute movies and this one is really cute.  This is a good family movie-well, for older kids; because of some mild violence and some gun-waving, I don't know how well younger tots might react.It's PG, so you parents out there use your discretion.  I enjoyed it, and my 18 y.o thought it was cute, so I guess YMMV.

By the way, I know I've been reviewing mostly horror movies, but I wanted to review this one and it's my blog, so, yeah. :D Think of it as a little break. Next, I was thinking of reviewing 'Mystery Men' which is big favorite of mine. Maybe next post.  I'll be back to horror movies in no time.

So, anyway. The plot is really good- if your kids liked say, 'The Parent Trap'(remake or original), any Hannah Montana movie, 'Coraline', 'Tangled', etc, then I think they'll like this one. It's definitely a girl tween type of movie, with, like I said, some drama.  Bill Oberst, Jr. is deliciously evil as the proprietor of the carnival, and I would say up there with Snidely Whiplash as far as villainy goes. And, I have to pause here to make special mention of his mustache.  It is so glorious and all, that I kept expecting it to jump off Snyder's face and start delivering its own lines.

I mean, LOOK AT IT. YOU CAN'T.STOP.STARING.

I think it even rivals Mario's mustache.

Copyright to Nintendo
What are you'a talkin' about, mine's a' better!




Ahem...

Um, yeah. Moving on.  The costumes and sets are pretty good,and I love the dresses Evelyn wears.  And the pony. Oh, boy. What a beautiful pony.  Just plain adorable.  Yes, and the little dog is cute too. Especially when he...no, I'll save that one. You just have to watch the dog.  And the rest of the cast was superb; Bobbi Jo Lathan as Aunt Fay was terrifically eccentric,  Ron Hajak(who, sadly, is no longer with us- and was well known for things such as V: The Original Mini-Series, CHiPs, The Waltons,etc) is wonderful as the bodyguard Lawrence, Kim Little is great as Queen Matilda, and Aubrey Wakeling and Alison Lees-Taylor as Fernando and Velora are great as Snyder's minions.

I highly recommend this movie, for it's "Aw!" factor, for the drama, which keeps it from being  formulaic, and yes, for that cute Pony.  Ok and for Bill Oberst, Jr. who very nearly steals the movie.  :D

  4.5 Stars!

Comments

Popular Posts